Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My new fav.....Italy!

France was great, but it was time for a new country; Italy, my new favorite European country.....so far.

First stop, Venice.  We took an overnight train from Dijon, France to Venice late Saturday night, and arrived at 9:30 Sunday morning.  All transportation on the island is by boat, so we had a water bus shuttle us to our B&B about 40 minutes away, on the southeast side of the island.


Venice was amazing, but a little rainy.  The tide waters crept up early in the day, and brought some good photo opportunities of the flooding of St. Marco square, and the dedicated tourists who didn't relinquish their right to overrun the square.  We walked around much of the city on wooden boards set on scaffolding. 



Besides my two near fatal accidents in Venice, it was amazing!  And by fatal I mean sliding in fresh dog poo, and nearly sliding into the Grand Canal.  The first was a quick shoe slide which required a quick adjustment to catch myself, while the later was a bloopers moment which ended with my hands (camera and all) screeching to a halt on the last brick before plunging head first into the water.  Megan found nothing better to do than stand back and laugh hysterically.  I suppose I would have done the same.


Pizza with hotdogs...oops, my mistake, but it was still great, and the wine was amazing


St. Marco square behind us


This Pretty Girl on one of the canals let me photograph her


Gondolas


More gondolas


Drinking Chocolate - so thick and delish as my expression illustrates 


Megs found her doughnut and hot chocolate 


A storm on the horizon made the color contrasts amazing!

After two awesome days of wandering the streets and shops, it was high time we moved on to Florence.



No comments:

Post a Comment