Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Notre Dame!

I have something to confess..... I have a love for many things Catholic.  I love the reverence they show for God (even if it seems dry), the Cathedrals (even if they are extravagant), Icons, and various traditions: the Daily/Divine Office, Contemplative prayer, Stations of the Cross, the Liturgical year (Advent, Lent, Ash Wednesday, etc.), among others.  I also have to confess that I have rarely or never partaken in most of these traditions, but am fascinated by them nonetheless.



Byzantine style Icon


Having said that, Megs and I stuck to our schedule of partaking in a Christian service each week of the trip.  This week, it was a Gregorian Mass at Notre Dame in Paris, France.  The first stones were put in place in 1163, and construction continued until 1250 using four different builders, and has gone through many additions and modifications since.  



Entrance to the Gothic style Cathedral

This space is a feast for the senses.  The Cathedral is a masterpiece for the eyes, with its vaulted ceilings, stained glass windows, and gigantic pillars.  There are hints of burning incense and candles burning from those who offer up prayers for loved ones.  Once the service begins, the music rushes throughout every chamber as if it's wind looking for a way out.  

The service was quite reverent I thought.  Followers would enter and kneel and cross themselves before taking their seats.  The entrance procession (5-6 people) leads with the alter cross, followed by the candles, the Book of Gospels, and finally the priest.  The methodology at which the service took place seemed very old and symbolic in ways I didn't understand, but I felt as if I were experiencing something sacred at some level.  






The main drawback for me was that the entire service was in French and Latin, and I don't know a lick of either.  Ah well, this was a great way for me to simply set back and enjoy the experience and take it in.  











The journey to Notre Dame was a fantastic one.

No comments:

Post a Comment